French is one of the oldest, most beautiful and complex languages in the world, and remains one of the official languages of many countries.
It is also one of the six official languages of the UN and a language that serves as a link to international culture. In fact, until before the emergence of the United Kingdom as an Empire and international power in the 19th century, French was considered the universal language.
And although today English has a determining weight in world trade, the language of France is inescapable when listing the main languages of the world.
These 20 curiosities about the French language will leave you open-mouthed.
- French is one of the oldest spoken languages in Europe. It dates back to the 9th century, but its written form dates back to the 12th century.
- French is the official language of 29 countries around the world, including France, Canada, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, the Congo, Madagascar, and many others.
- French is the official language of the United Nations and is one of the official languages of the European Union.
- France was the first country to have public television in 1936.
- French was the first language of European diplomacy.
- French is a mixture of Latin, Gallic, and Celtic dialects.
- The Académie Française was established in 1635 with the aim of preserving the language and standardizing spelling.
- In 1789, following the French Revolution, French became the official language of France.
- In 1790, the first modern French dictionary was published by the linguist Nicolas Beauzée.
- French is one of the official languages of Canada, and is the most widely spoken language in the province of Quebec.
- French is the second most widely taught language in the world.
- The word “salut” is used as an informal greeting among French speakers.
- There are approximately 60 different dialects of French in France.
- French is the third most spoken language in the world after Mandarin Chinese and English.
- French is an official language of the UN, NATO, the International Monetary Fund and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.
- The French word for grammatical rule is called “grammaire”.
- French has many unique words not found in other languages.
- The French word for calendar year is called “année”. French is considered an official language in 29 countries.
- French is a Latin language, as are Spanish, Romanian, Catalan, Portuguese, Galician and many others. Therefore, it is relatively easy for Latinos in general to learn.
- Although French is spoken on five continents, there is relatively little information on the Internet in French. This makes the language a great opportunity for new Internet businesses and for content generation.
Do you want to learn French?
At Lingua Language Center, we are proud to have graduated thousands of students at different levels since its inception. Our centers offer several points of access to the French language, both face-to-face and online. We believe that knowledge of a new language opens up a world of opportunities for those who dedicate themselves to its study. That is why we strive to offer our students the best quality language training available.
Our experienced teachers work hard to ensure that each student receives personalized attention and support.
We also provide a wide range of study materials and resources, such as books, audio files and practice tests.
At Lingua Language Center, our mission is to make learning French accessible to everyone. We are dedicated to helping our students reach their full potential as they become bilingual professionals in the global marketplace.
Can you imagine what your life would be like if you spoke French?