+1 (888) 6-LINGUA

Many people are posting on the Internet this question: Can I use my F1 visa for another school? In many cases, this search is due to disagreement with the curriculum they are taking, among other factors…

But before we get into the details involved in this change, let’s get to the short answer: Yes! It is possible to change schools if you are in the United States with an F1 Visa!

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) (USCIS) has approved thousands of academic institutions for non-immigrant foreign students who want to study full-time, so it is possible to change schools with an F1 Visa as long as that academy is approved by USCIS.

A student who is in the United States studying English may also change programs within the institution he/she attends. This happens if, for example, you realize that you would be better served by another type of content more in line with your professional interests.

Suppose a student of the Intensive English Course realizes that he or she would be better served by a conversational English course for accent elimination. This is one of the cases in which you can request a change of program.

But what is the procedure to change programs within a language school or to simply change schools or universities? We will explain it below.

How to change programs or schools with an F1 Visa?

To change schools or programs on an F1 visa, the student must contact Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to obtain authorization.

Immediately, you need to submit a program change request to the college or school you wish to attend. When that request is approved, it will return to ICE and show the institution’s verdict.

Once ICE approves the change, the student will take it to his or her country’s embassy or consulate in the United States for a record of the change.

After the consulate or embassy receives that information and approves it, you must submit a program change request to the U.S. Department of State.

If the State Department approves it, it takes it to the USCIS, which will also have to approve it, so that, finally, it can be accepted again by the school or university and ICE.

Yes, it doesn’t sound easy. However, in practice, it can be; especially if you have the support of an academic institution that provides all the information step by step.

In any case, in some cases, it is good to have the advice of a lawyer specialized in immigration matters.

Use my F1 visa for another school or think again.

Given the many steps involved in changing schools or programs, it is important to have a school from the beginning that offers real advice on what is the right thing to study at our level.

At Lingua Language Center, we make sure that our students choose the English programs that really fit what they are looking for.

We have decades of experience offering top-notch language classes with expert teachers executing our patented methodology.Contact us today!

We have courses ranging from the basic processes to advance the level of English according to international standards, to specialized programs according to the student’s professional vocation: English for law, medicine, literature

We also offer the ideal training to pass exams such as the TOEFL, which is the most requested by universities in the United States.