How long does it take a person to learn English from scratch? Is it possible to achieve this in a short time and with good results? In this article, we are going to give you some keys to answer these questions and offer you the best recommendations to achieve it without any previous knowledge.
At the outset, it is important to note that there are some factors that influence the amount of time it will take you to learn English if you don’t know any English. Below, we will list several.
- The mother tongue and its degree of similarity to English. Some languages, such as Spanish, share many words and structures with English, which makes learning easier. Others, such as Chinese or Arabic, are very different and require more effort.
- The objective you want to achieve. Learning English to travel or communicate with friends is not the same as learning English to work or study in an academic environment. Each purpose has its own requirements and levels of demand.
- The learning environment. Being exposed to English on a constant basis, whether in a school, in an English-speaking country or through digital media, accelerates the learning process and improves comprehension and oral expression.
- The student. Each person has his or her own pace, motivation, ability and method of learning. Some students learn faster than others, but everyone can do it with dedication and perseverance.
- The student’s current level of English. According to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), there are six levels of language proficiency: A1 (beginner), A2 (elementary), B1 (intermediate), B2 (upper intermediate), C1 (advanced) and C2 (mastery). Each level implies an approximate number of hours of study to reach it.
How long does it take a person to learn English from scratch?
Taking into account the above factors, it is possible to estimate an approximate time to learn English from zero to an advanced level.
According to the CEFR, about 920 hours of study are needed to move from level A0 to level C1.
This means that if you study 20 hours a week, you could learn English in one year. If you study 10 hours a week, you would do it in two years. And if you study 5 hours a week, you would get it in four years.
These figures are approximate and may vary from case to case. The important thing is that you are clear about your objective, your current level and your time availability. This will allow you to plan your learning in a realistic and effective way.
Recommendations for learning English from scratch
To learn English from scratch, these are the tips we can give you based on our experience of more than two decades teaching languages and mainly English.
Choose a good English language school
An academy with native, trained and certified teachers guarantees you quality teaching, adapted to your needs and objectives. In addition, you will be able to practice the language with other students and receive personalized feedback and support.
It is better to study a little every day than a lot once in a while. This will keep your memory active and consolidate what you have learned. Spend at least 15 minutes a day reviewing vocabulary, grammar or pronunciation.
Practice the four skills
To master a language you need to develop the four skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking. Look for materials appropriate to your level and a variety of topics to improve each of them.
Expose yourself to English
Take advantage of every opportunity you have to be in contact with English. Listen to music, watch movies or series, read books or magazines, surf the Internet, talk to native speakers or friends who know English… This way you will learn in a natural and fun way.
Enjoy the process
Learning a language can be very rewarding if you do it with enthusiasm and curiosity. Don’t get frustrated by mistakes, but learn from them. Celebrate your achievements and progress. And above all, have fun and be creative.
Lingua Language Center: the best option to learn English from scratch
If you want to learn English from scratch in a fast, effective and enjoyable way, we recommend that you enroll in the Lingua Language Center courses.
- Learn with qualified and dynamic native teachers, who will motivate and guide you in your learning.
- Follow a communicative and interactive method, based on the real use of the language and constant practice.
- To have at your disposal quality didactic materials, updated and adapted to your interests and objectives.
- Access an online platform with multimedia resources, activities, exercises and evaluations.
- Obtain an official certificate at the end of each level, recognized by the CEFR.
- Benefit from affordable prices, scholarships and special discounts. Don’t hesitate any longer and start learning English from scratch today with Lingua Language Center.