+1 (888) 6-LINGUA

Many of the foreign students who are in the United States come to wonder at some point how to obtain the Green Card after the F1 Visa that allowed them to enter the country. In this article, we will answer this question.

There are a number of ways in which a student with an F1 visa can apply for a Green Card or permanent residency card to stay in the United States to make a living after finishing their studies: it can be through the sponsorship of a company, by marrying a U.S. citizen, applying for asylum winning the visa lottery, diversity, being asked by a family member who owns a business… You can even do it by doing military service.

All these ways are valid and worthwhile for those who want to stay in U.S. territory, since a Green Card allows its holders not only to remain legally in the country but also to petition for their family members and access social security benefits.

Of course, Green Card holders must also comply with new responsibilities as residents, such as filing taxes and notifying changes of address to the Department of Homeland Security.

Is it possible to obtain the Green Card after the F1 Visa?

Yes, it is possible to obtain the Green Card after the F1 Visa. Even those who do so have a small advantage because they are already on U.S. soil legally, and not as undocumented immigrants.

Ways to obtain a Green Card after the F1 Visa

Below, we will list the main ways to obtain a Green Card once you have already entered the United States legally with an F1 visa.

Sponsorship of a company

If during your time as a student, you received an offer to work for a company, you can apply at that job for an EB-2 or EB-3 application to be processed for residency.

Marrying a U.S. citizen

If you are able to prove that you have a legitimate relationship with a U.S. citizen, this will be your fastest route. However, the process is extremely rigorous and in many cases includes interviews and the presentation of various tests. In no case is it advisable to do so as a strategy to receive a Green Card.

Apply for asylum

Sometimes returning to your country can be dangerous for you… Perhaps because of political persecution, war or some kind of vulnerability. These cases are reviewed by the U.S. authorities with precision and extreme care to see if they are true.

Winning the visa lottery

Between October and November of each year the so-called visa lottery is held, which is no guarantee of anything because it leaves everything to chance. However, it is possible to know when you are not eligible for this lottery, as there are countries whose nationals cannot apply due to the huge migration to the United States.

Receiving sponsorship from a family member who owns a company

If you have a family member who owns a business and is a permanent resident, you may ask him or her to sponsor your legal presence in the country by hiring you as an employee. That said: you must demonstrate that you are being hired for your talent and your potential contribution to their company, and not because of your relationship with them.

Doing military service

Although the norm is that only persons who are permanent residents of the United States may join the military, there are exceptions. For example, if you have a minimum of two years studying at a university in the country, you can be recruited. It is important to note that many universities have a recruiter, and it is to that person that you should express your intention to serve. The moment you are selected, you will get your Green Card, but you should know that the commitments to the military must be fulfilled.

Receiving sponsorship from parents or children

Those who have permanent resident parents or a citizen child under the age of 21 can have them sponsor your Green Card.

At Lingua Language Center we only teach languages. But we want our students to have at their fingertips the information that is of so much interest today.