If you want to know how to speak English fluently, you should know that, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, this is a skill that can only be obtained from a B2 level.
In other words, it is necessary to complete between 500 and 600 hours of study, which are the estimated hours for level B2, if you want to speak fluent English.
However, it is important to note that there are techniques and methodologies to accelerate the arrival of this step in the language. For example, when taking an intensive English course, the number of hours will be completed faster than estimated.
And is an intensive course enough to become fluent in English? Of course not: you must continuously prepare yourself and add some techniques to your process.
How to speak English fluently? Practical recommendations
According to the latest findings on the generation of synaptic connections in the brain, nothing stimulates us more and makes us smarter than reading. That information can also be put to good use when learning to speak English fluently. Here are some practical recommendations to help you achieve this.
- Practice reading aloud in English. Spend 15 minutes a day reading news and articles that are of interest to you. Do it out loud and try to progressively increase the number of minutes and pages. When we read something we know, we identify all the words more easily. For example, if you are a soccer expert, you will know what each thing means when you read about soccer.
- Check the pronunciation. If you check how the words are pronounced, you will become agile in no time. Don’t you have a way to check that? Of course! Enter the Google translator, type the word in question, and click on the horn symbol to hear its pronunciation.
- Be careful with periods and commas. When reading, take care of the punctuation marks so that you make the right pauses. This way, fluency will come to you in less time and you will be able to understand all the sentences.
- Keep reading even when watching a movie. If you have an online television system, set the language to English and the subtitles to English. Then, try watching the same episode of the series or the same movie, again in English, but without the subtitles.
- Use transition words when you have to speak in English. If you use transition words, you will be able to pause and let your brain sort out your ideas. Don’t worry: you’ll get faster and faster. And what are those transition words? For example: also, for example and however.
How to speak fluent English? Specialized courses
When we talk about courses to become fluent in English, many people may think of our intensive and semi-intensive programs. Although these are ideal to reach B2 level, we also have other much more specific classes to improve speaking skills.
For example, Lingua Language Center’s English Conversation and Accent Reduction program. This is a course in which we provide students with the necessary tools to begin speaking the language with confidence and assurance, which is fundamental to speaking fluently.
We also focus on words that are generally heard by natives in one way and foreigners in another. In this course, our teachers work on enabling students to master stress, and to make the necessary pauses to speak fluently.
In addition, we encourage communication within the classroom so that students can let loose. We do this through dynamics framed in our exclusive methodology: EnterTraining.