+1 (888) 6-LINGUA

Why Study Languages in Florida?

Fort Lauderdale,Weston & Doral

Lingua Language Center FAQ´s

Why choose Lingua Language Center?

Lingua’s proven track record of success in language training since 1998 and the authentic American university and college experience makes us your best choice for language learning. We are ACCET accredited and boast an award-winning methodology, cutting-edge technology and language instructors that are degreed and culturally sensitive. We are authorized by the US Federal Government to enroll non-immigrant alien students. Upon enrollment, we will grant the I-20 for the F-1 student visa, in addition to providing support and assistance with transfer to higher education institutions, housing, insurance and transportation for students.

What is the total price of the courses?

Prices will vary depending upon how many total weeks are purchased. Our pricing system offers embedded discounts of up to 25% when you enroll in multiple modules for students who pay their program of study in advance. Additionally, 2+ members of the same immediate family will receive 10% discount. Once you complete the application for enrollment, pay the applicable enrollment fee, and take the English Proficiency placement exam that will determine your level of proficiency in English, you will be notified of your level placement. You can pay by check, credit card or wire transfer.

What are the benefits of studying at Lingua Language Center over other language institutes?

Lingua can provide a true American university or college experience that other language institutes in the area cannot. We are located in sunny South Florida, in cities of Fort Lauderdale, Weston, and Doral. You have access to beautiful beaches, museums, theaters and the world-renowned Las Olas Boulevard with it’s wonderful restaurants and shops. Our students have access to state-of-the-art technology facilities and a student I.D., which will provide them with access to discounts on public transportation, restaurants, and events in and around town.

How do I obtain an F-1 student Visa?

After completing the application for enrollment and paying the applicable fees, you would submit copies of supporting documents in order for Lingua to issue an I-20. You would then make an appointment with your nearest consulate or embassy to request the F-1 visa. If you have been in the US for at least 60 days under another type of visa, for instance, a B2 tourist visa, you may be eligible for a change of status. More info at uscis.gov

What if I need medical treatment?

Health insurance is mandatory for F-1 students and is advisable for all students as health care in the U.S. is very expensive. We can process coverage for you at Lingua School, Inc.: click here for a free estimate on coverage, or you can obtain coverage in your country of origin but make sure it provides the minimum coverage necessary.

What if I need to make arrangements for lodging and transportation during my stay? Does Lingua provide housing and transportation services?

Yes. Lingua can assist you with your housing needs, medical insurance and airport transfer. During the winter and summer seasons, we offer all-inclusive packages which encompass homestay, meals and fieldtrip. We can also help you arrange for lodging, meals and transportation through our affiliate, American Homestay Network. We can also help you arrange for lodging, meals and transportation through our affiliates. Visit our Student Services page for additional information.

What should I pack for my stay in the United States?

Florida’s climate is warm and tropical all year round, however it tends to be very hot and rainy in the summer months. You will need to bring all of your important documents with you, medicines, a book bag or backpack for transporting materials to and from class, an umbrella, sunglasses, comfortable walking shoes and appropriate clothing for class. Clothing should be comfortable and you should dress in layers as classrooms are air-conditioned.

Is there a placement exam to determine my level of proficiency?

Yes, we administer a placement exam prior to assigning class levels. The exam is taken online, either at our location or if you prefer, from home. For additional information about the proficiency exam, feel free to contact us at the school. *Please note: The Lingua proficiency placement exam will time out if not completed within the required timeframe and will need to be re-administered. Students will be charged a $10 fee for each new placement exam administered because of time-outs.

What if I begin a level and it is too difficult/too easy?
Although our placement exam is very precise, on occasion students may experience difficulties at a certain level. If this should occur, you would meet with the Academic Coordinator to discuss your situation and find the solution that best suits your needs.
What is the minimum age to attend class at Lingua?

The minimum age permitted to study at Lingua’s group programs is 13 years old (location restrictions apply). However, we offer customized language classes for elementary school-age children, as well as an array of children’s programs through Camp Lingua (not under ACCET accreditation).

How can I enroll?

Whenever you are ready to register, you may submit the completed Application for Enrollment online, via e-mail or in person and pay the registration fee. We will then send you the placement test which will determine your level of proficiency.

What documents do I need to submit to register?

Lingua requires copies of valid government-issued identifying documents such as passports, (with current visas for international students) driver’s licenses and/or resident alien identification cards (for locals and resident immigrants) For international students to process the I-20 for the F-1 visa, we will also require 3 months of bank statements.

Are there any registration or application fees?

Yes, Lingua charges a non-refundable application fee of $150.00 and a non-refundable administrative fee (for International students) of $350 upon registering.

What is the typical class size?

Lingua classes are small and personalized. We have no more than 20 students per level in class and most classes average 12-16 students.

How many hours per week will I attend class?

This will depend upon your program. The Intensive English program is 18 hours per week (required for F-1 visa students), the semi-intensive program is 16 hours per week and part-time English is 12 hours per week. The schedule for Intensive English is Monday-Thursday, on morning, afternoon and evening schedules, from 9:00am – 1:15pm, 12-4:15pm, or 6-8:45pm, however schedules may vary according to location. Elective courses (which may be taken as stand-alone courses) are usually six hours per week but are offered occasionally on different schedules, either more intensive or sporadic.

*Note that Lingua’s academic class hour is 50 minutes.

Are there any extracurricular activities?

Lingua arranges for several field trips during each term to restaurants, museums, parks, among others. There are also special in-school events during the year such as Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations, International Day events and graduation celebrations. Lingua students will also receive information regarding Broward College and community events, many of which are free with your student ID.

How long is the Intensive English program (IEP) course?

Lingua Language Center offers the IEP for a period of 12 weeks per level for a total of 8 levels. Students will typically attend class for 16 to 18 hours per week, depending upon their status and/or needs. Classes start every Monday. You may enroll for as little as two weeks up to the whole program. The schedule is Monday through Thursday from core English with elective classes focusing on conversation and accent reduction, business English and TOEFL test preparation. Check all schedules here

What type of course would I choose if I am a foreign student abroad or if I am in the United States on a tourist Visa or an F-1 Visa from another school?

Whether you are an international foreign student abroad or in the US, if you should desire a course of study for longer than three months, then you would need to process an F-1 Visa. If you are abroad, you would process an initial F-1 Visa. If you are already in the US under a different visa that does not allow for study, you would process a change of status (if you are a tourist under a B-2 visa on a short period of time, you do not need to process a change of status but you may only participate in programs under 18 hours of class per week). If you already have an F-1 Visa from another school, you would enroll and we will process a transfer into our school. You would attend class for a total of the required 18 hours per week. If you have a tourist visa and would like to study for a short period of time, you do not need to process a student visa. You would attend class 16 hours per week.

Get in Touch