+1 (888) 6-LINGUA

Meeting the requirements for the F-1 student visa is a process that many young people fear due to lack of information. But here we will provide a solution to that problem by listing all the steps to obtain this type of visa.

The F-1 Visa is designed for immigrant students who wish to prepare academically in the United States or take some courses as long as they are full-time.

It is not a visa that allows students to work while in the United States, unless it is within the campus where they are training or under some special permits that may be granted by the authorities in specific situations.

The important thing is that students who obtain this visa always abide by U.S. laws so that their visa is not revoked and they can return to the country in the future.

For a more effective understanding of the process, we have divided it into three parts: preparation and application, stay and change of status in case the student seeks to stay longer in the country.

F-1 student visa requirements

These are the requirements that the student must meet for the F1 visa:

Part 1: Preparation and Application

1. Choice of Educational Institution

Before applying for the F-1 visa, you must be accepted to an educational institution in the United States. This can be a university, college, language school or even a conservatory. Make sure the institution is accredited and on the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) list of institutions.

2. Obtaining Form I-20

Once accepted, the institution will issue the Form I-20, which is a crucial document for the visa application. The I-20 contains information about the institution, the program of study and the associated costs. You must pay the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee and receive the I-20 before proceeding.

F-1 Visa Application

Go to the U.S. Department of State website and complete Form DS-160. Then, schedule an appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country. During the interview, demonstrate your genuine intention to study and your ability to finance your studies and living expenses.

Part 2: During your stay in the U.S.

4. Arrival in the United States

Once you obtain the F-1 visa, travel to the U.S. before the start date of classes. Make sure you have your I-20, passport and visa with you.

5. Compliance with Visa Conditions

  • Full-time: You must be enrolled full-time at the institution.
  • Maintenance of Status: Comply with all immigration regulations and do not overstay your authorized period of stay.

Part 3: Change of status and job

6. Change of status

If you wish to change your status (e.g., from F-1 to H-1B), consult with an immigration attorney. You must file an application with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

7. Work after Graduation

After completing your studies, you can apply for an Optional Employment Authorization (OPT). This allows you to work in your field of study for a specific period of time. If you wish to stay and work in the U.S., consider applying for programs such as H-1B or Green Card.

Remember that each case is unique, so consult with an immigration attorney for personalized advice.

Studying English in the United States on an F-1 visa

If you want to study English in the United States, an F-1 visa may be your best option, as long as the English program you choose is full-time and the educational institution has permits to bring students into the country.

At Lingua Language Center, we have advised thousands of students every year so that they know exactly how to obtain the F-1 visa, and come learn English in Florida.

So if you want to take the step, just write to us. Our consultants will be ready to give you every single piece of information you need to collect and even explain the most effective ways to achieve your goals.Write to us!