+1 (888) 6-LINGUA

For some reason, there are a lot of people asking on the major Internet search engines which US visa is the best, between the F1 and the J1. This question is due to a lack of knowledge of the differences between the two, so here we will clarify them.

Both the F1 and J1 visas agree that they are ideal instruments for students who must come to the United States for academic preparation. However, they differ in the specific intent of the stay in the country.

When we talk about an F1 visa, we are referring to a visa granted to a student who comes to study full-time. On the other hand, the J1 visa is given to those who travel for cultural exchanges or to study while working. But let’s look at each one separately and analyze their characteristics.

Which U.S. visa is best?

F1 Visa

An F1 visa allows a student to enter the country for a minimum of 18 hours per week, so they will not have time – or legal permission – to work while preparing academically.

To apply for an F1 visa, it is necessary that an academic institution admits the student and provides the necessary documentation for the U.S. Embassy in your country to approve the visa.

If the student intends to enter a university or any academic institution of a similar nature, he/she must demonstrate that he/she is fluent in English.

On the other hand, if your plan is to study English, you do not need to be completely fluent in the language, although you do need to have a minimum foundation.

Once the student concludes the determined academic preparation, he/she will be able to remain in the United States for another two months to finish receiving the certificates related to his/her classes and to complete the corresponding paperwork.

J1 Visa

A J1 visa is granted to a non-immigrant to travel to the United States to study and work at the same time.

This visa assumes that the person will only be in the U.S. for a certain amount of time, and that time will be well defined from the beginning.

It is also relevant to say that the J1 visa is valid for cultural exchanges that include teachers, students, researchers, summer camp workers, au pairs, among others…

This visa is also applied for once an institution admits the professional or student to a specific program. This is done by clarifying the reasons for the trip and the objectives to be achieved by the person’s presence in the country.

But which visa is better? F1 or J1?

There really is no better visa between F1 and J1. Both are good for what they were designed for. Each one has its purpose, and the important thing is that the student is sincere about his or her intentions before entering the country, as the authorities are quite rigorous in complying with this.

Which visa can I use to study English in the United States?

If you want to study English in the United States in an academic way and prepare yourself in an institution that offers you a certificate of having completed one of its programs, you should opt for an F1 visa.

However, it is good to say that the same school you apply to will tell you that this is the visa you should apply for and will also tell you how to do it step by step.

For example, Lingua Language Center is in charge of offering its students the complete counseling to obtain this visa.

Write to us today and let us tell you what you need to do to have an unforgettable time studying English at one of our locations in the state of Florida.

We have everything at your disposal so that you can reach your English goals as quickly as possible and so that you do not lose the knowledge you have acquired over time, but can be able to speak English at any time.