+1 (888) 6-LINGUA

There are many people typing this question into Internet search engines, “Who can sponsor me to study in the United States?”.

Although initially we may think that sponsorship is not necessary to study in the United States, and that all applicants need to do is apply for a visa F-1, M-1 o J-1It is also important to remember that each case is unique, and that people’s needs may motivate them to take unconventional paths.

Having a financial sponsor in the United States is a requirement for anyone immigrating to the United States based on the petition of a family member.

In other words, those who decide to sponsor the immigration of their relative by filing a Form I-30 (Petition for Alien Relative), must also agree to be his or her financial sponsor and to file an affidavit of financial sponsorship when the time comes for immigration.

If the family member does not meet the financial requirements at that time, he/she must still file an Affidavit of Financial Sponsorship, and find another person who does meet the requirements and is willing to take over.

So who can sponsor me to study in the United States?

The person requesting your entry into the United States must be a relative of yours. However, in the event that the family member does not meet the financial requirements to become your sponsor, he or she can find another person to become a joint sponsor.

That joint sponsor does not have to be your relative, but does have to meet the financial requirements, and share the responsibility for your presence in the country with your relative.

Consequently, the person asking you must always be a family member, but he or she may ask someone else (family or not) to share the financial responsibility for your stay.

Your financial sponsors must sign an Affidavit of Financial Sponsorship.

What are the requirements for sponsoring someone’s arrival in the United States?

Under U.S. law, the sponsor must demonstrate an income level of at least 125% above the federal poverty level. But in the case of active military, when sponsoring a spouse or children, the income requirement is 100% of the federal poverty level.

If the sponsor’s income does not meet the requirements, his or her financial capacity may be determined based on his or her assets, such as checking and savings accounts, stocks, bonds or property.

To review the current poverty rates, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, you can check the website www.aspe.hhs.gov.

Financial sponsorship is a very delicate issue that U.S. law takes very seriously; so much so, that if the sponsor does not provide financial support to the immigrants, they, their families, and even the government can initiate legal proceedings against them to demand the money they were supposed to receive.

The sponsor’s financial responsibility ends when the immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, completes 40 quarters of work in the country (equivalent to 10 years), permanently leaves the United States, or dies.

Is it the best way to have a sponsor to study in the United States?

When it becomes impossible for a person to qualify for an F-1, M-1 or J-1 visa, being petitioned by a family member and receiving their (or someone else’s) sponsorship is a fairly common avenue, especially in recent years. However, the most convenient way to study in the United States without depending on administrative variables and inconveniences is always to take the visa route.

If you want to study English in the United States, sign up for our next cohorts. At Lingua Language Center, we will give you all the information you need to go to the American Embassy in your country and apply for an F-1 visa without any problems.